Local and General Anesthesia in Dental Treatments
Updated on Thursday 09th June 2016
Rate this article 1 reviewsbased on
Anesthesia in dental treatments is the field of dentistry which manages pain and anxiety by using local anesthesia, sedation and general anesthesia. Different medications are administered so that the patient has a relaxed and comfortable visit to the Dubai dentist. The physician, after discussing with the patient, takes into consideration several factors when choosing certain medications for the treatment. The type of operation, the patient’s general health, the history of allergies and the anxiety level are all taken into consideration when deciding which anesthesia method is most suitable for the patient’s individual case.
Local anesthesia in dental treatments
Local anesthesia in dental treatments consists of numbing a minor area by injecting a local anesthetic under the skin in the spot where the incision will be made. If utilized alone, this type of anesthesia presents the least number of possible risks.
There are various local anesthetics that have different levels of absorption, toxicity and duration of action. One of the most utilized local anesthetics is Lidocaine (Xylocaine). It can be injected or placed topically on the mucous membranes. A topical anesthetic which is becoming more popular for being used before painful dental treatments is the eutectic mixture of local anesthetics (EMLA) cream. This type of cream is made of lidocaine and prilocaine. It is applied directly on the skin and it takes about one hour to gain a satisfactory numbing effect. It can also be used before giving injections or pulling superficial splinters.
Local anesthesia is entirely safe and effective when administered by trained professionals.
General anesthesia in dental treatments induces an unconscious state. In such a state, the patient is:
• unaware of what is going on;
• unable to feel pain;
• free from any memory from what happened when he or she was under the general anesthetic.
Such an anesthesia can be induced by using of inhaled gas or injection. There are different medications and gases which can be used alone or in a combination to cause general anesthesia.
During such an anesthesia the patient has to be attentively monitored.
Dental sedation is a dental treatment anesthesia method which can be utilized by your dentist in Dubai in order to eliminate excitement or anxiety so that the patient receives the adequate dental treatment.
There are different levels of dental sedation, as listed below:
• minimal sedation: the patient replies normally to verbal commands. Cognitive and coordination functions could be affected, however the breathing is not.
• moderate sedation (conscious sedation): the patient replies to oral commands, alone or with the assistance of light stimulation. There is no need for interventions to sustain breathing.
• deep sedation: the patient is not able to respond easily, however he or she can feel painful treatments. The breathing function could be impaired. The subject could necessitate assistance in keeping an open airway.
• general anesthesia: the patient cannot be awakened even by painful procedures. The breathing function could be often impaired. The patient often needs help to keep an unobstructed airway.
Our dentists in Dubai are appropriately trained to utilize these methods for the management of dental patients and are devoted to confer their safe and effective utilization. Please contact us if you have further questions.