Most Commonly Used Dental Instruments
Updated on Wednesday 09th March 2016
Rate this article 2 reviewsbased on
Dental instruments are familiar to all patients and the dentists use them in order to perform a wide range of dental treatments. All these tools are very important for giving proper medical care, in accordance to the dental problem of the patient.
Instruments used during a dental check-up
When a patient is going for a dental check-up at a dentist in Dubai, he or she should expect to see the following items, which are necessary for an over-all examination:
• mouth mirror - this instrument is used for searching the mouth site for any problem of the tissue area, gums irregularities and tooth decay; it is a harmless tool, as it is used by the dentist just for observation;
• periodontal probes – used for measuring the depths of the periodontal pockets. The straight probe is used for checking existing fillings or cavities in the biting surface of the teeth, while the Briault probe is used to detect cavities developed between the teeth;
• dental explorer – the tool, with a hook-like shape, is used by dentists to search for soft areas of the teeth that may indicate tooth decay.
Instruments used for dental procedures
After the patient goes through the dental examination, the dentist in Dubai will start the intervention required in that case. You should expect the doctor to use at least one of the following instruments:
• dental retractors – used for improving visibility inside the oral cavity;
• dental drills – this tool is used for cutting into tooth enamel to remove cavities;
• dental excavators – these instruments are used for cutting into teeth, for widening the dental cavity and for removing decayed material;
• periodontal scalers – long, narrow tips tools, necessary for removing hardened dental plague from the surface of the teeth;
• dental burnishers – dentists use them at the end of the dental restoration process, to smooth rough edges remained after applying filling material in the cavity region;
• dental forceps – tools that are used for teeth extractions;
• dental elevators – when making teeth extractions, dentists use them to facilitate pulling out the teeth from the sockets.
Every time you will book an appointment at our dental clinic in Dubai for a check-up or medical intervention, the dentists will use these dental tools.
If you are interested in finding out more details about the dental instruments used during a dental check-up, please contact our dentists in Dubai.