The Use of Anesthesia in Dental Treatments
Updated on Tuesday 08th March 2016
Rate this article 2 reviewsbased on
Anesthesia is used in medical practice to relieve the patient from the pain he is already having or the pain produced by a certain type of medical intervention. Without the use of anesthesia, many of the dental treatments would not be possible, as the pain would be very hard to endure, but modern procedures used by our dentists in Dubai involve less and less pain for the patient.
Anesthesia in dental treatments in Dubai
Anesthesia is applied to a patient when the dental intervention may induce pain. It is generally used when the dentist is performing invasive procedures, such as root canal operations or implants. It is also necessary for less invasive interventions, such as treating cavities, but this is decided in accordance with the gravity of the medical problem. Dental treatments in Dubai are performed using the latest types of anesthetics, in accordance with the patient’s tolerance to pain and to different types of allergies a patient may have to certain compounds of the anesthetics.
Types of local anesthesia
Local anesthesia, used in dental medicine for over a century, is still the main type of procedure when applying anesthetics.
Types of local anesthesia are applied in a variety of sites of the mouth, according to the dental problem and its gravity:
• nerve block – it anesthetize the nerves inside the mouth and it is used for invasive dental problems;
• infiltration – the anesthetic is applied at the root of the tooth;
• intraosseous – applied only using an injection into the bone; the method it used for complicated medical interventions, such as dental surgery;
• intrapulpal – administered into the pulp of the tooth.
The duration of the anesthetic depends of the medical problem of the patient and the site where it is applied, and it can be short, intermediate or long (it can last from 5/10 minutes to more than 300 minutes) and, for each of these stages, our dentists in Dubai use different types of anesthetics.
Methods of applying local anesthesia
At this moment, there are two ways of applying local anesthetics:
• injectable anesthetics – applied using a dental syringe;
• topical anesthetics – this method is used for reducing stress or discomfort that is usually associated with injections. It is used as an alternative method for certain types of interventions, as it anesthetizes only the mucous membrane and tissue. It can’t be used for dental interventions done on teeth or jawbone.
If you are interested in finding out more about a certain type of anesthetics that is best for your dental problem, please contact our dental clinic in Dubai.