How is Dental Dam Used in Dental Treatments
Updated on Wednesday 29th August 2018
Rate this article 4 reviewsbased on
A dental dam, also known as a rubber dam, is a rectangular sheet, generally latex rubber that is used in dentistry to separate the operative place from the rest of the mouth. The dentists in Dubai use the dental dam mostly in common restorative treatments, fixed prosthodontics, and endodontic treatments.The purpose of a dental dam is both to prevent saliva affecting the dental work, like an infection of oral micro-organisms during a root canal treatment, or to keep filling materials, such as composite, dry during placement and curing and to avoid materials and instruments from being swallowed, inhaled or injuring the mouth. Our dentists in Dubai are at your disposal with extra information about the dental dams used for any kind of operations. Moreover, you can receive details about the dental implants in Dubai which are used to properly restore the denture of a patient.
The use of the dental dam, step-by-step
The dentist in Dubai will put a dental dam over the patient’s mouth and will use minor clamps along the edge of the gums to hold it steady during an endodontic treatment. The patients are advised to tell the dentist if they are allergic to latex, in order to replace it with a silicone dental dam. The next step in the process is using a special hole punch in order to create holes in the dental dam that will permit the crown to stand out. Our Dubai dentist uses the dental dam to create a clean and a dry working zone and to retract the lips and the cheeks, in order to allow the treatment without any contamination from saliva or blood.
The video below explains how dental dams are used in our dental clinics in Dubai for varied treatments:
The benefits of a dental dam
The dentists in Dubai use dental dams during all endodontic processes to make a safe operating environment and here are the main benefits:
• prevents the possibility of any materials or substances dropping into your mouth or being swallowed during the treatment;
• prevents the cured area from being exposed to microbes in your saliva and oral cavity;
• keeps the treated area free of blood or saliva when inserting a filling, so that the adhesive can bond properly;
• protects the tongue and the gums from irritation that could otherwise appear during the treatment;
• when placing dental fillings, the rubber dam can protect the patient from ingesting any material used in this dental technique;
• sharp instruments cannot harm the oral mucosa if a dental dam is used by your dentist in Dubai;
• the dental dam represents a safe method for patients who do not want to feel the water during a dental treatment.
Dental dams for cleaning a tooth from decay
Decay is the dental problem most people suffer from. The Dubai dentist suggests to all patients to step into our modern dental clinics in Dubai as soon as such problem is detected. Once the dental check-up is complete, the doctor will prepare all the instruments to clean the area and the affected tooth, by placing the dental dam around the damaged tooth. This item will be used until the decay is eliminated and the tooth sealed off.
For any other questions or information regarding the use of dental dams or regarding the dental implants in Dubai, please feel free to contact our dental clinics.